Saturday, April 29, 2023

The Kerosene Kids

The Kerosene Kids were a band from Phoenix, Arizona, formed in 2003. The point at which they became inactive is a bit hazy because they didn't so much breakup as mutate; after a lineup change, the band would become, for a brief period, The Seasons Company, after which more lineup changes would eventually make them into The Maine. The Kerosene Kids were apparently a high school band, though you wouldn't know to listen to them, given their general polish. They played the emo pop of the early 2000s, call it post-hardcore pop or mall emo or whatever you like, but you know what it sounds like. These guys bring a little more screaming to the mix than you might usually hear, though.

The band's only release is The Dialogue Between My Head And Heart, which most sources place in 2008. However, this doesn't seem possible to me. The Maine would release their first album in 2008, and had released an EP a year earlier. That means I don't think this EP could have been released later than 2006. There's a short clip of TKK playing live from 2005, so if The Seasons Company existed in the short time between that and the first Maine EP in 2007 (this image suggests they were around long enough to put out a split) then The Dialogue must have been released sometime between the band's inception in 2003 and 2005, and I lean towards 2005.

The EP is the only known release for the band; I'm calling it an EP and not an album based on the liner notes, which thank Mathew Grabe for 'recording our EP.' I am assuming they are referring to this EP, as I haven't seen a speck of evidence there is any other. That said, the liner notes also thank anyone who bought 'a demo,' so there must be more material out there (another reason to think the album released around 2005). I have seen references to at least one demo track that was on Purevolume. Until any of these things surface, The Dialogue Between My Head And Heart is all I can make available.






The Dialogue Between My Head And Heart

No comments:

Post a Comment