Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Ashes

 Ashes were a band from Maryland, active in the early and mid-90s. They played a cross of emocore and post-hardcore that gradually became a bit more pop-oriented as their releases progressed, though I wouldn't call them an outright emo pop band at any stage. The smooth female vocals are the poppiest aspect of the music, juxtaposed with some emocore-style male shouting. They are reminiscent of Copper or Junction, and I always thought it was a shame that this style of music didn't really live past the mid-90s. The midwest emo\emo pop that it inspired is all great, of course, but any time you hear this particular combination you can almost always date it to somewhere around the early 90s.

Ashes' last release was in 1998, I presume posthumously. Wisconsin Avenue Tour is supposed to serve as a discography; the problem is that it's not a very good one. For starters, the track listing is two songs short. To make matters worse, according to Discogs the track listing is incorrect not only on the back tray insert, but also in the liner notes. I don't have the band's other physical releases so I'm trusting Discogs to have it right.

The discography is also missing several tracks: some compilations tracks and I think at least a couple tracks from early demos. Most of these I haven't been able to find, but I've included two compilation tracks in the download.





Wisconsin Avenue Tour + Compilation Tracks

No comments:

Post a Comment