Friday, May 7, 2021

Left At Yale


 I know exactly four things about Left At Yale: They were from California, they were on the Transit Music label with Derail, the vocalist would go on to form The Color Turning, and they made some fine music. This 1999 self-titled EP is, to the best of my ability to determine, the only thing they ever released. If they put out anything else then it's even more obscure, which is saying something considering I had to add the EP to Discogs. I'd also like to know if Transit Music put out anything else, because they're two for two when it comes to great releases.

Left At Yale are less pop punk than their label mates Derail. I would describe their music as an interesting combination of midwest emo, emo pop, and indie rock. I think I'd probably call it midwest emo pop, if I had to give a single name. I like their sound a lot; it fits into that vague, post-second wave movement in midwest emo, distinct from the third wave, when latecomers to the sound were evolving its indie rock influences (see Apple of Discord, Fly, Mordecai, and Angels in the Architecture, among others) and I wish they had kept evolving it and given us a full-length.






Left At Yale

No comments:

Post a Comment